July 2026 Movie Rankings: Every Theatrical Release I Saw, Ranked Worst to Best

During July 2026, I watched 8 new movies in theatres using my Regal Unlimited subscription. From major releases like Spider-Man: Brand New Day and The Odyssey to smaller films such as The Invite and Gail Daughtry and the Celebrity Sex Pass, here's my ranking of every movie I saw this month, from worst to best.

If you missed it, check out my June 2026 movie rankings where I reviewed Disclosure Day, Toy Story 5, and other theatrical releases.

Warning: there are minimal spoilers ahead.

8. Minions & Monsters ★★⯪☆☆

"Ah, James. Rolls off the face tendrils."

After sixteen years of avoiding this franchise, I finally sat through all six films in preparation for Minions & Monsters — only for Illumination to release a completely unrelated prequel instead. In my estimation, this is the worst installment in the series to date. The studio took a bold swing by cramming a children's movie with references to classic cinema. Bolder still were the painfully on-the-nose adult jokes, including a character named Dick and a choking chicken gag. Here's hoping Kevin, Stuart, and Bob return the next time the Minions inevitably make their way back to the big screen.

7. Gail Daughtry and the Celebrity Sex Pass ★★⯪☆☆

"I don't see Homer Simpson standing here ready to whip it out, so.."

Should we blame Jennifer Aniston’s fictionalized portrayal of herself for this film existing? All jokes aside, once I realized that “Gail Daughtry” was a play on the name “Dorothy Gale”, everything clicked. Looks like we’re not in serious movie territory anymore, Toto. For its sheer creativity and willingness to embrace absurdity, I can’t bring myself to rank Gail Daughtry and the Celebrity Sex Pass as the worst film of July. However, despite its brisk 94-minute runtime, the film's relentless chaos made the experience feel more like a chore than a comedy. Has anybody seen my inhaler?

6. Evil Dead Burn ★★★☆☆

"Don't turn a deaf ear! I asked you a question."

Last month, I penned a similar criticism of Scary Movie 6, yet the urge to accuse a film of false advertising took hold once again after watching Evil Dead Burn. We are increasingly seeing studios release trailers that feature the only genuinely enjoyable parts of a movie. On paper, this could have been absolutely terrifying, yet outside of a few well-executed scenes, it essentially becomes your run-of-the-mill horror film. Possessed grandmothers, cheap jump scares, and that tired effect where a demon’s voice is layered over an actor’s own all start to overstay their welcome here. I entered the theatre with high hopes for this film, which makes its failure to captivate all the more disappointing.

5. Moana (2026) ★★★☆☆

"You're welcome."

Disney’s projected response to audiences thanking them for a shot-for-shot, live-action remake of Moana (2016). Ranking this film is difficult, especially since I experienced it in 4DX — being splashed with water every thirty seconds felt like the logical way to enhance the viewing of such a familiar story. The biggest question remains: why was this film created? If it strayed too far from the original, fans likely would have criticized it for butchering a beloved film. Yet because it remains so faithful, it’s been criticized as a cash-grab that offers nothing new. In the end, it’s a cautious recreation that raises more questions about purpose than execution, so I’m placing it somewhere in the middle of my rankings.

4. Young Washington ★★★⯪✩

The One Where Andy Serkis Rants About Trees.

In the spirit of transparency, I expected this film to fall outside of my genre wheelhouse and quickly become a tedious watch — similar to Pressure, where much of the tension revolves around a weather forecast. To my surprise, I found it to be a genuinely captivating look at George Washington's life, long before he became the first President of the United States. Of course, there will always be viewers scrutinizing these movies for historical accuracy. A quick glance at IMDb reveals that a caplock rifle shown in the film wasn't introduced until around 1820. Personally, I could've done without Kelsey Grammer's end-credit appeal for donations, but neither of those things detracted much from the overall experience.

3. The Odyssey ★★★★☆

"Who doesn't understand thunder? Fire? A child's smile? A good harvest?" 

Before I'm chastised for not ranking The Odyssey as the best film of the month — nay, the year — nay, the decade — allow me to explain. I was first introduced to this source material as a 13-year-old, when I was forced to read Homer's epic poem and write a massive paper simply to earn a place in my Pre-AP freshman English class. Nothing screams excitement to a teenage boy quite like reading a text written in the 8th century BC. With Christopher Nolan assembling the acting Avengers and weeks of relentless hype building toward its release, I expected this adaptation to completely change my opinion of the source material. Instead, I walked away thinking this was a very good film, but not the transcendent masterpiece many are calling it. Ironically, I found myself most invested in watching Batman (Robert Pattinson) clash with Spider-Man (Tom Holland).

2. The Invite ★★★★⯪

"All your beautiful meat will get eaten, I'm starving."

July's undisputed "pleasant surprise" came in the form of Olivia Wilde's The Invite, starring Seth Rogen and Penélope Cruz. Initially, the film's subject matter and uncomfortable humor reminded me of "Dinner Party" — arguably the most iconic, cringe-filled episode of The Office. Before long, however, the story takes an unexpected turn that steers it into even wilder territory than Michael Scott's dinner party. Without spoiling too much, if Season 3 of You and the relational dynamic between Joe Goldberg and Love Quinn comes to mind, you're on the right track. Nonetheless, I found this movie both hilarious and endearing. At bare minimum, The Invite is a reminder that a small cast of exceptional actors can carry an entire film through the sheer strength of their performances.

1. Spider-Man: Brand New Day ★★★★★

"Because I'm not just Peter Parker. I'm Spider-Man. And sometimes Spider-Man has to do the hard thing, even if it breaks Peter Parker's heart."

While there was never much chance a different film would claim my top spot in July, allow me to provide some context. Growing up with Tobey Maguire's Spider-Man, I've always found it difficult to embrace anyone else in the iconic red-and-blue suit. (2017 me was BITTER). After Brand New Day, however, it's safe to say Tom Holland has officially won me over at last. As expected, this movie has its critics. One of the more intriguing complaints is that a final confrontation between Spider-Man and one of his greatest enemies doesn't unfold in the traditional, spectacle-driven fashion. Yet, in many ways, that's exactly the point. This isn't a film defined by one climactic battle. It's about Peter Parker's desperate struggle to remain emotionally grounded as the people and relationships that have shaped his life are all pulled away from him. It's a story of growth, resilience, and discovering what it truly means to be Spider-Man. Viewed through that lens, this chapter becomes perhaps the franchise's most emotionally resonant entry to date. Spider-Man forever.

In summary...

July 2026 provided an eclectic lineup for moviegoers, with standout releases like Spider-Man: Brand New Day, The Invite, and The Odyssey leading the pack. Whether you enjoy action, horror, comedy, or animation, there was something worthwhile playing in theaters this month.

What were your favorite movies released in July 2026? Let me know in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ranking the Sharks' Top 10 Wins of 2025-2026 (So Far!)

May 2026 Movie Rankings: Every Theatrical Release I Saw, Ranked Worst to Best

Film Review #1: Psycho Killer