My Top 10 Sports Moments

With the NBA and NHL deep into their respective playoff brackets, MLB approaching its modified postseason format, and the first NFL Sunday on tap for tomorrow, I thought it might be interesting to illustrate some of the more meaningful moments in my time as a sports fan.

Recognizing that everyone invests in a unique combination of teams, I'm interested to know how my "Top 10 Sports Moments" stack up with those of my readers. 

Feel free to leave your thoughts in the comments below and don't forget to "Subscribe" for future post notifications :)

10. The 2018 World Series: Red Sox beat Dodgers in 5 games

As an avid San Francisco Giants fan, something about the Dodgers losing in the World Series is simply irresistible. There's nothing sweeter than watching your rivals spend absurd amounts of money each offseason, stack their roster to clinch the NL West, and ultimately crumble when it matters most. While this one wasn't quite as memorable as the Dodgers' 2017 loss to the Astros, the fact that their ace Clayton Kershaw lost two pivotal matchups in this series (including the clinching Game 5) makes it an obvious choice for my top 10.

9. The 2018 NBA Finals: Warriors sweep Cavaliers in 4 games

Quite honestly, this one wasn't as sweet as it could have been. The idea of three rings in four years is very fulfilling, especially considering the manner in which the Warriors lost the 2016 NBA Finals. However, after our bounce back effort in 2017, this one felt like salt poured in the wound for Cleveland. It's safe to say nearly every NBA fan knew that the Cavaliers couldn't win. If LeBron James and company were defeated in five games a year prior, how could they expect to beat Golden State following the departure of Kyrie Irving? I had to work during the clinching game of this series, and didn't get around to watching it until this year's COVID-19 quarantine.

8. The 2010 World Series: Giants beat Rangers in 5 games

When your favorite baseball team clinches its first World Series victory in 56 years, it's hard to justify any ranking lower than number one. However, in 2010, I was moderately into baseball at best. At 13 years of age, the majority of my emotional investment was placed in NHL Hockey (and the San Jose Sharks, in particular). Thus, I watched this Giants team sparingly, and somewhat hopped on the bandwagon for their postseason ride. It was technically my "first championship" as a fan of any team, but it hardly counts as such in my mind. I'll explain in more detail as my rankings progress.

7. The 2016 NFC Championship Game: Falcons beat Packers 44-21

Let me preface this by stating the obvious: my Falcons went on to blow a 28-3 lead in the Super Bowl, making Tom Brady the greatest quarterback ever, and Atlanta the embarrassment of professional athletics. Just thought I'd get ahead of those responses. While such comments are warranted, I wasn't even old enough to walk during the Falcons' first Super Bowl appearance. Thus, this NFC Championship was incredibly special for me. After a decade of avidly supporting Atlanta, they finally made it to the proverbial promised land, and they did it in decisive fashion (jumping out to a 24-0 lead in the first half).

6. The 2016 NHL Western Conference Finals: Sharks beat Blues in 6 games

In sixth grade, I received free tickets to attend an ECHL hockey game, which truly sparked my passion for professional sports. Though the now-defunct Stockton Thunder are to thank, following the NHL's San Jose Sharks quickly became my number one "hobby". I watched their 82 games each regular season and suffered through their inevitable postseason defeat each spring. In 2016, however, my Stanley Cup anticipation finally came to fruition. Though the Sharks ultimately fell to the Penguins, this was the ride I'd been waiting for since 2009. Thus, I will always emphasize our Game 6 victory against the St. Louis Blues over our Game 6 loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

5. The 2017 World Series: Astros beat Dodgers in 7 games

There's a certain amount of professional integrity that is massively important in the world of sports, so maybe I shouldn't be praising the Astros for cheating their way to a Game 7 victory. However, when such a monumental loss happens to the Dodgers, it's hard not to be thrilled. This series had some iconic moments, including Game 5, which the Astros won 13-12 in 10 innings of baseball that took over five hours to play. If Kershaw hadn't recorded a victory in Game 1, could I have ranked this one even higher? I guess we'll never know. One thing is certain: I've never had so much fun rooting against a team during a championship event.

4. The 2017 NBA Finals: Warriors beat Cavaliers in 5 games

I remember being incredibly nervous for this series, particularly after Cleveland stole a victory in Game 4. After watching the Warriors' 3-1 series lead collapse in monumental fashion during the 2016 NBA Finals, it became difficult to view any lead as safe. Furthermore, I recognize that the majority of NBA fans may forever discredit this ring with the argument that we needed Kevin Durant to obtain it. Though I respectfully disagree (as illustrated here), I understand that I don't have the power to change anyone's mind. In my view, this was the series in which the Warriors quieted their haters and took revenge on LeBron James' second "superteam". And boy, was it sweet.

3. The 2014 World Series: Giants beat Royals in 7 games

I don't know if I've ever been more stressed than I was on the night of October 29, 2014. This season was an absolute rollercoaster (San Francisco was a Wild Card team), so it shouldn't have come as a surprise that Game 7 sought to take numerous years from my life expectancy. What an absolutely remarkable performance by Madison Bumgarner, who (almost single-handedly) clinched the Giants' third ring in five seasons. Bumgarner shocked the baseball world on this career-defining night, pitching five scoreless innings in relief only three days after his complete-game shutout in Game 5. What a win. What a series. We are not worthy.

2. The 2015 NBA Finals: Warriors beat Cavaliers in 6 games

There's something special about this one that remains difficult to describe in words. I became a Golden State Warriors' fan during the 2011-2012 season. For those who didn't join the fandom until our golden years, this was not an encouraging time. Fan-favorite Monta Ellis was traded, Stephen Curry was battling injuries, and Klay Thompson was merely a rookie. With Mark Jackson at the helm, the team soon managed to turn things around, qualifying for the postseason in 2012-2013 and 2013-2014. However, it was Steve Kerr's first season as head coach that became immediately memorable, as the Warriors went 67-15 in regular season play, stormed through the Western Conference playoffs, and dethroned King James (who didn't even hold the crown) in the NBA Finals. All without Kevin Durant. Checkmate.

1. The 2012 World Series: Giants sweep Tigers in 4 games

While this was a difficult decision, the 2012 San Francisco Giants remain my favorite team amidst a decade of following professional athletics. Though my interest was initially peaked in 2010, I became an avid Giants' supporter in 2011. And in 2012, I was immediately rewarded by one of the most resilient teams in the history of Major League Baseball. These Giants overcame a 2-0 series deficit (in a best-of-5) to bounce the Cincinnati Reds in the 2012 NLDS. They also overcame a 3-1 series deficit to bounce the St. Louis Cardinals in the 2012 NLCS. And in the 2012 World Series, they swept the Detroit Tigers to provide me with a valid reason to celebrate a championship season for the first time in my life (at the age of 15). Thank you, Hunter Pence. Thank you, Pablo Sandoval. Regardless of how the remainder of our 2020 campaign plays out, I will forever be proud of this team.

*Honorable Mention*: The 2019 NHL Playoffs (First Round): Sharks beat Golden Knights in 7 games

Though I was uncomfortable placing an opening round matchup amongst my "Top 10 Sports Moments", I would be remiss if I didn't mention perhaps the greatest night in San Jose Sharks' history. While the Golden Knights were only in their second season as an NHL franchise, they had already ousted the Sharks a year prior on their way to a Stanley Cup appearance in their inaugural season. Thus, Vegas building a 3-1 series lead in the 2019 First Round was incredibly demoralizing. However, the Sharks won Game 5 to stay afloat and proceeded to win Game 6 in double overtime (courtesy of a shorthanded goal by Tomas Hertl) to make things interesting. And in Game 7, this team did the unthinkable, rallying from a 3-0 deficit in the third period, scoring four goals in four minutes, and ultimately winning the series in overtime on a memorable tally by Barclay Goodrow. Is it too late to create a Top 11?

Comments

  1. This was a great trip down memory lane and good insight into your personal history with sports. I was surprised to see games or series that didn't feature one of your favorite teams. I'll have to give that some thought. Do we enjoy seeing teams are despise as much as teams that we love? I think the 2015 Warriors would be my favorite on your list. I can't decide between the 2012 and 2014 Giants.

    Of course, I have a much longer history than you do and I think the Raiders first Super Bowl victory may be at the very top of my list.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2016 NBA Finals: Game Four

A's Win First Postseason Series Since 2006, Will Face Astros in ALDS

Why Quidditch Is Totally Ridiculous (Yet We Still Love It)